Skip to content

← Return to News Index

Boston’s Broad St: Then & Now

The Broadluxe, located at 99-105 Broad Street, was built over 100 years ago and was converted into condos in 2007-2008. However, since its original construction in 1857, the building has served a number of other purposes.

Originally built for William H. Boardman to house merchandise from overseas trade, the pre-Civil War brick edifice with 5 stories was also home to, J. Gibson & Son Liquor Distributors, Pray & Hayes Grocers, Richards Publishing Co., Dexter Bros. Paints, Howe & French, Inc., and more. This building was lucky enough to survive the Great Boston Fire of 1872.

The Great Fire of Boston started on November 9, 1872 in a building on Summer Street and spread for two days throughout the business district. The fire took two days to extinguish and by Monday, November 11th, there was $12 million in damages, with 776 buildings being destroyed. During reconstruction of the commercial district, Boston widened streets, including Congress and Pearl Streets, and the extension of Franklin Street past Congress to Broad Street.

Today, The Broadluxe offers 44 brick and beam loft-style condominiums, professional management and daytime concierge services, in addition to numerous parking options nearby, for effortless city living. Broad Street offers immediate access to numerous restaurants, cafes, nightlife and nearly all of Boston’s neighborhoods with excellent transportation options to major highways and public transit nearby.

Want the opportunity to view this historical building up close and personal? Join us at our open house this Sunday, June 18, 2017. See some pictures below and learn more about our available unit here.