In honor of labor day, we’ve curated the ideal Labor Day meal including a watermelon salad, grilled chicken burger, campfire banana split and a delicious summer cocktail to wash it all down.
- 8 lb. whole seedless watermelon, chilled (about 12 cups of cubed fruit)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 whole limes, juiced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese (sheep’s milk feta preferred)
- Note: This salad is best made just prior to serving. Prepare one hour or less before your meal.
- Cut rind from the watermelon, then chop the fruit into 1 inch chunks. Place chunks in a colander to drain as your chop.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, fresh lime juice, salt, and black pepper to create a dressing.
- Place watermelon in a large salad bowl. Pour dressing and chopped mint over the watermelon and toss gently to coat. Pour the crumbled feta into the salad bowl and stir gently to integrate the cheese into the salad. Serve.
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large Vidalia onions, sliced into rings
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- In a small bowl, combine sliced avocado and lemon juice. Add water to cover; set aside. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate.
- Heat butter in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the onions until browned and caramelized; set aside.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place on grill, and cook until no longer pink and juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side. Place buns on grill just long enough to toast them.
- Spread buns with mayonnaise to taste, then layer with chicken, caramelized onion, provolone and avocado.
Dessert: Campfire Banana Split
- 6 large bananas, unpeeled, stems removed
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (10.5 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
- Preheat the grill for high heat.
- Spray 4 sheets of aluminum foil, large enough to wrap bananas, with cooking spray.
- Slice the peel of the banana from stem to bottom, while slicing the banana inside lengthwise. Carefully open the banana just wide enough to place the chocolate chips and marshmallows inside the peel with the banana.
- Stuff with as much of the chocolate chips and marshmallows as desired.
- Wrap the bananas with the aluminum foil and place on the grill or directly in the coals of a fire. Leave in long enough to melt the chips and the marshmallows, about 5 minutes.
- Unwrap bananas, open the peels wide, and eat with a spoon.
Cocktail: Myrtle Beach
- 4 count Short Path Myrtle Liqueur
- 4 count Short Path Blueberry Summer Gin
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 ounce simple syrup
- 3 cucumber slices
- Muddle cucumber slices in a cocktail shaker.
- Add Myrtle, Gin, Lemon and Simple and ice to the shaking tin.
- Strain over ice and garnish with cucumber and lemon peel.